The name of Rundale comes from the German place-name Ruhenthal (Valley of Peace). Rundales castle is one of major baroque palaces built for the Dukes of Courland. The palace was built during the 16th century, it is situated at Pilsrundale, 12 km to the west from Bauska. Castle is one of the major tourist destinations in Latvia. Also is used for the accomodation of notable guests, such as the leaders of foreign nations. In nowadays the palace and the surrounding gardens are used as museum.
Palace Rundale - Castle Bauska - Palace Mezotne
The palace was built in two periods from
1736 until 1740 and from 1764 until 1768. It is situated at Pilsrundale,
12 km west of Bauska.
Its oldest part is the only Livonian Order fortress built especially for the use of firearms.
The castle surrounded by a picturesque scenery is located in the territory of Bauska town, on the land strip between the rivers Musa and Memele, not far from the place where the rivers meet to form the river Lielupe. The Bauska castle complex consists of two parts. The oldest of them – Livonia Order Castle – was built in the middle of the 15th century, but only ruins have remained up to nowadays. While the newest – residence for the Duke of Kurzeme (Courland) – was built at the end of the 16th century. The Bauska Castle represents an example of military architecture in the period from 15th to 17th century. Its oldest part is the only Livonian Order fortress built especially for the use of firearms, but the newest part – a residential castle fortified with bastions, protective walls and earthen ramparts.
Over a thousand years ago Mežotne used to be an ancient Semigallian stronghold. The history of the Mežotne estate dates back to Duke Jacob's time - the middle of 17th century. Later, in 1795, the Russian Empress Catherine II granted the Mežotne estate for lifetime use to the governess of her grandchildren Charlotte von Lieven who was conferred the title of a countess in 1799. In 1797 Czar Paul I granted the estate to the Lievens as a patrimonial estate. Charlotte von Lieven commissioned the building of the present day Mežotne Palace in 1797 after the design of the Italian architect Giaccomo Quarenghi.
The construction of the residence was supervised by the Saxonian architect Johan Georg Adam Berlitz. The construction was completed in 1802. During the agrarian reform of 1920 the count Anatole Lieven lost the Mežotne estate.
From 1921 to 1944 the building accommodated an agricultural school. During the battles of World War II the buildings of the castle were partly destroyed. The restoration works that were initiated in 1958 by the Mežotne Plant Breeding and Testing Station saved the palace from complete devastation. The renovation of the palace was completed in 2001.
The palace is one of the most outstanding examples of Classicism architecture in Latvia. The park stretches behind the house and is styled in the English landscape garden.
It goes down to the bank of the Lielupe River.
Price per person - 85.00 Euro.
The minimum number of participants for the Tour : 2.
The tour Lasts – All Day.
The tour includes a transport and a tour guide.
Call us now :+371 25259381